The Best Bread Slicer Buying Guide
A bread slicer, also known as a bread slicing guide not only cuts the bread evenly, but it also saves you time. The basic model consists of three sides. Two slots act as a guide, and the bottom is a flat surface that holds the bread in place while you slice it nicely and evenly.
Mostly these guides allow you to slice all kinds of bread: baguette, artisan, sourdough, rye, but they are used mostly for homemade loaves that you might bake yourself in the oven or in your bread machine.
You have to fit the bread between the slotted sides and cut it with a special knife. Make sure to use a long serrated bread knife as it can cut better and is long enough to extend to the other side. The thickness remains consistent, and you can make fresh, delicious bread at home.
Below we’re going to review some of the best bread slicers and although most are in no particular order, the first one that I’m sharing with you is my absolute favorite bread slicer.
It’s so good that its name is the Better Bread Slicer!
Presenting Better Bread Slicer by Black Hills by Design
- New & improved! (Yes, really. This is not just marketing bunk.) *** 3 major changes!!!
- Rounded tops (easier knife insertion) / New "Backstop" to hold bread in place / Enclosed ends to prevent Side Panel slippage
- 6" high side panels handles tall loaves - Multiple loaf width options - 3.6", 4.8", 6.2"
- Side panels & backstop stow conveniently beneath slicer when not in use - Unit balances on sides or ends for storage convenience
- Will show marks but won't dull knives - Heavy! ~5 lbs so unit remains stable during use
Most people think slicing bread is an easy task, but it can turn into a tiring chore if you aren’t using a useful guide. Better Bread Slicer, or BBS, was an invention of someone who was as frustrated as we are by the low-quality bread slicers in the market.
The company isn’t quite famous yet, so you might not have heard from them, but their bread slicer is of excellent quality.
When you ask for quality, then you have to pay for it as well, so BBS isn’t cheap. It is better to invest in something good once than to keep buying cheap products that don’t last at all.
We assure you that this product is so good that it might be the first and last guide that you will have to buy. Another thing that’s part of their vision is the use of natural products, and they have incorporated it by making their guides out of African Mahogany, Red Oak, and Walnut.
The intricate detail of the bread slicer is pretty evident. It is even stained with coffee/tea to make it more beautiful. Lastly, it is coated with food-safe mineral oil and beeswax. The wood is soft, which means that it’s suitable for your knife, but every time you use it, your knife will leave a mark on the base.
Not to worry though! That’s the point of a wooden bread slicer. It’s better to leave slight knicks on it than to ruin your serrated bread knives.
It weighs five pounds and has removable slides, allowing you to store it when not in use. The slotted slides are tall, and you can cut your bread in different sizes altering the thickness according to your needs.
Better Bread Slicer Pros
- Easily adjust bread thickness from .25 inches to .75 inches
- Absolutely beautiful wood
- Includes backstop
- Impeccable craftsmanship
- Matte finish
- Made from solid wood (not particle board)
Better Bread Slicer Cons
- There is no con that we can think of! It’s on the more expensive side but is well worth it.
How to use the Better Bread Slicer
Place a towel on a flat surface and put your guide on top of it. Place your bread on the flat surface of the guide. Four grooves help you choose the thickness, as you can adjust them as per your requirements. Now all you need is to grab a knife and slice away. It’s that easy!
The guide doesn’t require a lot of maintenance. It is best just to run it under water thoroughly because of the wood. You can also hand wash it with soap and let it air dry.
Under no circumstances try washing it in a dishwasher, as it will ruin the wood. Occasionally, you might have to oil the guide; we recommend using olive oil and beeswax.
We give this product five stars because of the impeccable customer service. If you encounter any problem, you can count on Patrick, the genius behind this guide to reach out to you.
So should you buy the Better Bread Slicer?
Yes! It’ll be a great purchase for your kitchen. These are unique, hand made bread slicers that will last you a lifetime.
Buy it and let us know how you like it.
If you’re not sure, keep reading below to see the other bread slicers that we like.
Purenjoy Bamboo Wood Foldable Bread Slicer
- Easy to storage - Our bread slicer folds flat which designed to fold easily for compact storage makes it easy to store even in crowded kitchen drawers and cabinet. The flat folding slicer measures just 12.5" x 8.5" x 1.6" and is small, light weight, sturdy and durable to last a lifetime.
- Easy to use - Equipped with a brand new bamboo pallet, this pallet can be used to cut bread slices faster, and it can also be used as a tray, without the need to pick up a piece of bread. The non-slip stickers on the bottom of the tray prevent movement during operation. It is stable on the kitchen counter together with your bread maker and maintains your fingers away as you slice uniform slices every time.We recommend using a 10” bread knife to cut even slices.
- Easy to clean - Our bread slicer is equipped with a bread crumb tray that collects all crumbs and makes cleaning easier. You no longer have to clean up the mess of bread crumbs on the table or counter - – simply wipe with a damp cloth if needed after cutting cake or other sticky items. The bottom multifunctional tray can also be used to display fruits and food.
- Eco friendly - Made from sustainable and eco-friendly bamboo wood, the bread slicer is classically stylish and built to stand the test of time.Food grade safety.
- Low risk - Purenjoy offers a 12 month warranty and a 100%refund or replacement guarantee.Please feel free to order.
This bread pal bread slicer is useful for slicing homemade bread, french bread, custom style loaves, banana nut bread, baguette, challah, pumpernickel, pound cakes, and much more.
It weighs 2.85 pounds and is made entirely of bamboo, which is a highly renewable source of wood.
This bread slicer will allow you to slice evenly and choose between 3 separate slice sizes. The side panels hold the bread in place so you can cut safely and easily.
- Excellent reviews and ratings
- Currently the top seller in its category
- Great price
- Easy to use
- Easy to clean
- Eco Friendly
- Some of the products people receive are defective, however, Amazon has a GREAT return policy so you can buy worry-free
DB-Tech Bamboo Bread Slicer
- 3 Groove sizes allows you to slice 3 Different slices - 1.2cm, 1.0cm, 0.8cm
- Designed to fold easily for compact storage
- Made form 100% bamboo Wood, Natural, environmental friendly and pollution free
- Great for bakery and homemade bread, even loaf cakes
- Dimensions: 12" x 7 ½ x 6 ½ (high) Folded: 12" x 7 ½ x 1 ½ (high)
This is a great bread slicer for those who are looking for a budget one that is environmentally friendly.
Bamboo is highly renewable and there can be used without hurting the environment. In addition to that, this wooden bread slicer helps you stay away from plastic in your home and does it at a great price.
It comes with three different thicknesses, 0.8cm, 1cm, and 1.2cm. These adjustable grooves give you the desired thickness of your bread.
- Great customer reviews
- Foldable for easy storage
- Adjustable grooves
- Spring-loaded locking system
- Weighs less than 2 pounds which can be a pro, but it also means that it tends to be not as sturdy or steady on a kitchen countertop
Norpro Bread Slicer with Crumb Catcher[Amazon box=”B00004UE6T”]
This Norpro bread slicer is one of the best and most durable on the market. It’s unique because although many bread slicers are only plastic or only wood, this bread slicer is a combination of both wood and plastic.
Although it’s inexpensive, it’s still durable and sturdy. Norpro has been around since 1973 so they’re no stranger to kitchen appliances and equipment.
This is a really basic slicer that isn’t adjustable but still gets the job done. It slices at .5 inch slices. It can’t get any thicker or thinner than that.
Having a crumb catcher tray makes it easy to clean and maintain. Which is a huge plus when using it multiple times a week.
- Crumb catcher
- Combination of plastic and wood
- Sturdy plastic slots
- Easy to clean
- Not adjustable
- Long knife is needed for slicing
Bambusi Bread Slicer Cutting Guide with Knife
- SLICING GUIDE FOR CUTTING EVENLY: This bamboo bread slicer offers a remarkable capability of cutting slices of bread uniformly. Includes a long stainless-steel bread knife. The sides are grooved to guide your bread knife, this means you can choose from 3 slice thicknesses to get thick or thin slices
- SLICER FOR HOMEMADE BREAD: Our bread cutter & bagel slicer is perfect for slicing homemade bread, French bread, custom-style baked bread, banana nut bread, baguette, challah, Pumpernickel, pound cakes and much more. It is stable on the kitchen counter together with your bread maker and maintains your fingers away as you slice uniform slices every time
- REDUCE CRUMBS & MESS: You no longer have to clean up the mess of bread crumbs on the table or counter. The wooden bread slicer comes with a crumb catcher tray on the base, this catches all the mess and makes cleaning easier. It FOLDS flat which makes it easy to store even in crowded kitchen drawers
- STURDY, QUALITY ORGANIC BAMBOO: We constructed this cutting guide bread with 100% environmentally friendly bamboo which has antibacterial properties. It is very solid and stable when compared with flimsy plastic cutting boards, and durable to last a lifetime. The compact and lightweight design makes it easy to use, store and easy to wipe down
- SLICE TO YOUR DESIRE OR MONEY BACK: If for any reason, the bread slicer fails to live up to your expectations, feel free to give us a call or email, and we will be happy to send a free replacement or a full refund no questions asked. Get yours today!
This Bambusi bread slicer is a durable and high-quality bread slicer. It’s made from eco-friendly bamboo and has a crumb catcher to catch all of the crumbs!
This is a compact foldable bread slicer that will help you slice bread with excellence!
However, it’s not adjustable so you need a serrated knife that’s at least 10 inches long.
Overall, this is a good buy and purchase that you won’t regret.
- Foldable and portable
- Thin and thick slices
- Crumb catcher
- Comes with a knife?
We were confused about the knife part because our did NOT come with a knife, but the description says that it does. What gives?
- Not adjustable
- Must be 10-inch knife
Eon Concepts Bread Slicer
- ✔ HIGH QUALITY - It is made of environmentally friendly ABS resin and delicately designed. Strong and tenacious which is able to withstand temperatures resistance of -10°C to 90°C. It also non-toxic and odourless.
- ✔ VERY FUNCTIONAL AND ANTI SLIP - Designed to allow you to cut the bread into 4 different thickness of 1.0cm, 1.5cm, 2.0cm and 2.5cm. The slicer also comes with 2 rubber paddings, simply paste on the base to prevent the slicer from sliding during usage, suitable for bread to bagels to any pastries.
- ✔ SIMPLE MECHANISM - Simply slide the divider into the device to choose your desired thickness of your toast or bread.
- ✔ COMPACT DESIGN - It is foldable, easy-storage and space-saving.
- ✔ MULTIPURPOSE - Generous slicing surface accommodates bread, toast, bagel, loaf and sandwich. Can also be used to cut ham, cheese and vegetable. Supports loaves up to about 6 inches high and 4.5 inches wide.
This bread slicer is a unique one. Instead of putting the entire bread loaf on the guide and then cutting it all at once, this one is designed to do one slice at a time.
It’s adjustable in the sense that you can adjust that one slice, but it’s cumbersome for anything more than a couple of slices of bread.
It has rubber padding on its footing and can be used to slice pretty much everything from a traditional bread loaf to cakes, and even cheeses and hams.
Therefore, it’s more of a multi-purpose kitchen gadget versus a traditional bread slicer.
It’s made of high quality resin plastic that is strong and durable and therefore is dishwasher safe.
It boasts 5 different thicknesses for slicing, which will give you a lot of flexibility over what you need to slice, whether it be a bagel or a slice of cheese!
Because it’s foldable, it makes it simple for you to store it and put it away. It also includes a recipe cookbook.
- Easy to use
- Small and easy to store
- Easy to clean
- Non slip feet
- Difficult to use for more than one or two slices
- No crumb catcher
- Too narrow for a homemade bread loaf
Kitchen Craft Stay Fresh Bread Keeper
- KEEPS BREAD FRESH: save supermarket trips and feed the family for longer with this ingenious, breathable bread storage gadget
- EXPANDING DESIGN: this bread bin expands up to 37 cm (14½") long, to fit just about any home-baked or shop-bought loaf
- ADJUSTABLE VENTS: this improved model lets you control air flow, for total freshness whether you're storing bread, pastries or muffins
- SLICING GUIDE: bread baking fans will love the included bread slicer, which helps you safely cut neat slices, for perfect sandwiches
- This expandable, large bread bin is made of robust, BPA-free plastic. It comes with Kitchen Craft's 12 month guarantee
This Kitchen craft bread slicer is another innovative piece of kitchen equipment. It not only has a bread slicer but also a special compartment to keep a full size loaf of bread.
The bread slicer is durable and slices exact, perfect slices of bread every time.
It has an expandable bread box that’s made of acrylic material, which means it’s dishwasher safe. The box expands to 28 cm and has small vents that will allow air to flow through it.
No more stale bread!
- Durable and long lasting
- Bread keeper is an extra that is useful in storing bread
- Dishwasher safe
- Easy to clean
- Easy to use
- Not very sturdy on kitchen countertop
The Bread Pal Bread Slicer
- AMERICAN MADE: Original foldable bread slicer. No clumsy set up required.
- BEST MATERIALS: USA Maple, Birch and hardwood faced. No Bamboo, no splinters.
- REPLACEABLE CUTTING SURFACE: Replaceable food safe cutting surface.
- EASIEST SET UP: Imported copies do not match our original easy, self locking design. Has rubber "feet" to help prevent countertop sliding. You get what you pay for with the Bread Pal.
- EASILY ACCEPTS 2 LB HOMEMADE BREAD: Foolproof slicing. Cuts round, regular shaped loaves.
This is an American made bread slicer that weighs about 1.85 pounds and can accommodate most sizes of bread loaves.
Because of its low weight, it’s easy to move from a cupboard to a countertop and back.
It also features an original spring-loaded design that automatically self locks when in use. This self-locking technology makes it easy to use and is a safety feature. Basically, it has springs that push the rods against the bread thereby keeping it securely in place. It’s kind of ingenious and isn’t something I’ve seen anywhere else.
It comes in maple, birch, and hardwood.
- Made from quality materials
- Easy to setup and use
- Automatically locks when in use
- Strong and sturdy
- Rubber feet to keep it in place
- Doesn’t work as well with softer bread
- No crumb catcher
A few things about choosing the best bread slicer
Bread slicers are one of the types of things in your kitchen that you can totally do without, but it’s very nice to have.
Will you use it every day? It depends. You’ll use it as often as you bake bread at home in your bread machine.
When looking for a perfect bread slicer, these are the things you should consider:
Your bread slicer should be sturdy and not flimsy. It shouldn’t fall apart after some use, or the slicer shouldn’t come off. It should be strong enough to bear a fall if you accidentally drop it. However, in most cases, they break after you drop them once.
Suitable for your knife
Choose a bread slicer that is not made of cheap plastic as it often affects the blade. A lousy surface can make your knife lose its sharpness and make it dull. You can’t keep buying new knives so the material you are looking for should be similar to a cutting board. High-quality plastic is fine, although we tend to prefer wood.
Easy to assemble
Bread slicers shouldn’t be hard to assemble/disassemble. You should be able to easily store it when not in use, as it can otherwise take up unnecessary space on your kitchen counter/shelf.
The guide should allow you to work with ease and effortlessly. Make sure you should test if it feels comfortable at use before buying. It should have different sizes that will enable you to cut in various thicknesses.
Plastic vs Wood?
These are the two most common materials for bread slicers. Whether it is pine wood, softwood, or bamboo, most people opt for a wooden bread slicer. This doesn’t mean that plastic is bad, just that wood looks better and is probably healthier. Still, plastic is popular because it’s durable, lighter, and much easier to clean. Personally, I prefer bamboo wood bread slicers.
Is it adjustable?
An adjustable bread slicer means that it can fit different loaf sizes. When looking to buy a slicer, this is something that you need to consider. Not only the size of the loaf but how thick do you want your bread slices?
Is it stable?
Having a sturdy and stable bread slicer is important because the last thing you want when your using a serrated knife to cut something is for the base of it to fall apart.
Is it easy to setup?
We all want things that can be set up fast and easy. A bread slicer is no different. If you end up with a piece of kitchen equipment that is different to setup and use, it’s unlikely that you’ll use it very often because you’ll be frustrated with it. That’s throwing money away! You should never buy something that’s too difficult to setup and use. Make sure that you put your hard earned money to good use.
Is it easy to clean?
The best bread slicers are super easy to clean as long as your bread doesn’t have a lot of raisins, craisins, chocolate chips, or sugar on it that can get sticky. If it’s just regular bread that you’re slicing then you can use a moist microfiber cloth to wipe it down. If it gets sticky, you might want to use warm soapy water on that cloth, but still wipe it down the same.
Wrapping up with the best bread slicer
The best bread slicer is the one that you’ll use the most. When looking for one, think through what your looking for, what your budget is, and go for one that has excellent reviews.