Best White Bread Recipe in the World
Nothing beats the smell of freshly baked bread wafting from your kitchen. That’s why today, we are going to share with you some wonderful white and traditional bread recipes which you can try out on your own bread machine. The recipes are easy to follow and the ingredients can be found easily at your local store.
Last update on 2022-07-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
White Bread Recipe
This recipe gives you delicious bread with a light center, plus its low on calories.
- Instant yeast; 4 ½ teaspoons
- Warm water; 3 cups
- Granulated sugar; ¼ cup
- Salt; 1 tablespoon
- Unsalted butter; 3 tablespoons (Should be at room temperature)
- All-purpose flour; 10 cups
- Measure ¾ of a cup of warm water and add yeast separately till it dissolves, leave it for 5 minutes.
- In a mixer bowl, mix the 5 cups of all-purpose flour with the measured sugar, butter, salt, and warm water. Stir the mixture well.
- Ensure that the mixing is done at low speeds; you might also use a dough hook to make this process easier.
- When mixing, gradually add the remaining 5 cups of all-purpose flour till the dough becomes tacky and soft. It should not be sticky. Always feel the texture of the dough and add all the flour if necessary. At this point, add the prepared yeast.
- Continue kneading until the dough becomes soft and the bowl sides clear of any sticky dough. This process may take about 8-10 minutes.
- Slightly grease another bowl with the unsalted butter till it is completely coated. Transfer the dough to this bowl and cover the contents with a plastic wrap.
- The contents should be left in a draft-free environment for the optimum enzymatic action of the yeast. The bowl contents will rise to nearly double in size in about 50 minutes.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a surface and place the dough. For you to remove any existing air pockets in the dough, you have to gently press it.
- Since this dough is big in size, divide the bowl contents into two and shape them in a rectangular shape. You can estimate the size of a loaf at his point. But the recommended size is 9*12 inch
- Place the 2 rectangular shaped loaves in two separate oven pans and loosely cover the top.
- Place them in an oven and pre-heat it to a temperature setting of 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Periodically brush the loaves with melted butter as they rotate in the oven rack. The loaves will turn golden brown after 30 minutes at temperatures of 195 degrees Fahrenheit. You can check the oven thermometer for an exact temperature reading.
- When the loaves turn golden brown in color, remove them from the oven pan and brush them with more melted butter.
- Leave the loaves to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing them.
- Wrap them in a plastic or airtight material before storing them in a freezer or a kitchen drawer. Freshly baked loaves have a shelf life of 5 days without freezing or 1 month in a freezer.
- This recipe makes you two loaves, if you only need one, you can halve the ingredients.
- If you can’t find active dry yeast, you can substitute it with the instant yeast. Activate it by dissolving it in warm water.
Serving; 2 9-inch loaves of bread
Preparation time; 20 minutes
Cooking time; 30-40 minutes, in oven temperatures of 195-200 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can also try out this traditional white bread recipe, with fewer ingredients.
The traditional white bread recipe
- Active dry yeast; 2 packages. One package weighs 25 ounces
- White sugar; 3 tablespoons
- Warm water; 2 ½ cups (Should be at temperatures of 45 degrees Celsius)
- Softened lard; 3 tablespoons
- Salt; 1 tablespoon
- Flour; 6 ½ cups
- First, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Then stir in salt and lard.
- Put ½ cup flour periodically while stirring the mixture. When the dough becomes soft and tacky, transfer the content to the surface that is lightly floured.
- Continue kneading until the dough becomes soft. This process helps remove the air pockets in the dough.
- It may take up to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle some cooking oil lightly on a bowl surface, place the dough and cover it with a damp cloth or plastic material.
- Leave the dough to rise; it may take up to an hour for it to double in size.
- Divide this dough and place them in pans measuring 9*5 inches. Cover the dough again. It will continue rising due to the enzymatic action of the yeast. Leave it for about 40 minutes.
- You should preheat your oven to temperatures of 220 degrees Celsius.
- The baking temperatures should be around 190 degrees Celsius. It may take 30-40 minutes till the bread top turns golden brown. Some people tap the bottom of the loaf to check if it sounds hollow.
- Remove loaves from the pans and store them in a cool environment.
Serving; 2 9inch long loaves
Preparation time; 20 minutes
Cooking time; 30 minutes
- You can brush the loaves with melted butter after removing them from the oven pan or rack.
- When dissolving the yeast, ensure that the water is warm and not hot, as it would kill inhibit the activity of the yeast.
Some helpful tips
- Always allow the baked loaves to cool down in the oven since cooling it too fast causes wrinkles to form in the oven. These wrinkles affect appearance.
- Only leave the loaves to cool for about 10-15 minutes, before removing them. If you leave them to cool longer, the loaves will form a soggy bottom due to condensation. Always place your loaves on a wire rack for cooling.
Wrapping up with the best white bread recipe in the world
These recipes are easy to follow and the results are great, you get tasty homemade loaves at a small cost. Plus you have total control on the ingredients; you can customize the recipe by adding healthier ingredients if you are strict on your calorie intake. Make sure you subscribe on our blog for more bread recipes.