Baking bread in an insant pot!
An instant pot, also known as the instapot, is one of those all-in-one devices that every kitchen should have! This is because, it’s not only versatile, but also makes delicious meals quite fast as it has a pressure-cooking function.
And, unlike with most stovetop pressure cookers, there are no safety concerns with an instant pot as it features a lid that stays locked till all the pressure is released.
These appliance nowadays come with plenty of features such as a yogurt setting, fruit and nut dispensers, recommended bread flour, and many other settings to help make your bread making experience as great as possible.
The purpose of this article is to guide you on how to make bread in an instant pot. Whether you have just bought the instant pot, or you have had it for a while and now you want to try making an instant pot bread, read through for a helpful guide and instapot using tips.
Instant pots don’t have a baking mode. But, you can still make a warm and soft instapot bread that looks and tastes better than what you get from your local bakery.
However, you have to use the right recipe and follow the instructions to get the best results.
First things first. If you don’t have an Instant Pot and are looking for one, we recommend the model below.
- Best-selling model: America’s most loved multi cooker, built with the latest 3rd generation technology, the microprocessor monitors pressure, temperature, keeps time, and adjusts heating intensity and duration to achieve desired results every time
- Cooks fast and saves time: The Instant Pot Duo multi-cooker combines 7 appliances in one: Pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, saute pan, yogurt maker and warmer – and cooks up to 70% faster
- Consistently delicious: 14 one-touch smart programs put cooking ribs, soups, beans, rice, poultry, yogurt, desserts and more on autopilot – with tasty results
- Easy to clean: Fingerprint-resistant stainless steel lid and components and accessories are dishwasher safe
- Plenty of recipes: Free Instant Pot app on iOS and Android devices is, loaded with hundreds of recipes for any cuisine to get you started on your culinary adventure. Millions of users provide support and guidance in the many Instant Pot online communities
Bread Recipe Ingredients
When making bread in an instant pot you will need simple ingredients such as;
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 cup regular whole-wheat flour
- ½ tablespoons salt or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- One ¼ teaspoons yeast or ½ teaspoons yeast(active dry yeast)
- Seasonings (but it is not a must). You can sprinkle Italian seasonings before cooking or spread garlic glaze if you want garlic bread before toasting it.
Kitchen tools to use
- Measuring cup and spoon
- Wooden spoon
Instructions to follow when making an instapot bread
Prep time for this is about 10 minutes.
Cook time will be about 45 minutes.
Total time will run a couple hours because of the proofing and the baking.
- To start, line with parchment paper and grease a 6-8″ cake pan. Ensure that the container can fit well inside the Instant Pot.
- Place the trivet inside the Instant Pot and then add a cup of warm water.
- Mix the water, yeast, and salt in a large bowl.
- Allow the yeast to proof. Give it about 3 minutes, and it will begin to foam. Then, start to add the all-purpose flour all over the counter and shape the dough.
- Since this recipe does not require kneading, mix the dough by hand, and ensure there is no appearance of dry patches.
- In the cake pan, fold out the ready dough.
- Place the cake pan in the Instant Pot and lid on top. The cover does not need to be secured.
- Select the ‘keep warm’ setting on the Instant Pot and for about 2 hours allow the dough to rise.
- After the dough doubles in size, refrigerate it or continue baking. If it hasn’t doubled, proof for another 30 minutes.
- You can now secure the Instant Pot lid and select the manual setting, bake for 45 minutes.
- When the time is up, perform a full natural release.
- For those who desire a golden brown look, they can toast the loaf of bread under the broiler of an oven for a few minutes.
- Remove bread and let it cool before slicing and serving. If there are any leftovers, store them at room temperature in an airtight container or bag or cover them. The bread is best the first day but can last up to five days and then it will begin to dry.
Shaping the dough for an Instant Pot bread
It can be hard for both new and experienced bread bakers but here is how to do it;
- Toss some flour on the kitchen counter of pastry board if you have it.
- Dump out the dough carefully from the container or cooking pot.
- Sprinkle some flour over the dough.
- Flip over the dough either using your hands or a bench knife.
- Twirl the dough into a bowl using your hands.
The pairing of Instant Pot bread
A fresh instant pot bread has a soft and warm texture and very easy to enjoy it on its own. But, one can also enjoy it alongside other foods like;
- French toast
Tips and Tricks for making Instant Pot bread
- Always ensure to weigh each ingredient correctly to ensure perfect results.
- Combine the flour with water gently to mix it well.
- The flour absorbs the liquid while resting.
- When you reshape the bread, let it rest for about half an hour.
- Cook the dough until the spots are dark. This lets you know when your bread is perfectly cooked.
- Place the bread on a baking rack after removing it from the oven. This gives it time to cool as desired without absorbing moisture, unlike if you were to put it on a plate.
- Only cut into the bread after it has cooled. It will need time to rest.
Instant Pot to proof bread dough
Proofing of dough in an instant pot helps save a lot of time. Creating a warm and humid setting for the mixture slows the yeast to produce carbon dioxide gas, which causes the stretching of the gluten and also creates air pockets. It will raise the dough and give it a light and chewy texture.
One can also use the instant pot bread proofing technique to proof any bread recipe even when planning to cook them in the oven. It accelerates the proofing in a controlled environment.
An instant pot is great for cooking various foods and it helps save time, money, and energy. If you are the adventurous type in the kitchen, there is so much that you can try with an instant pot.
When baking bread in an instant pot, you can try as many recipes as you wish, till you get that that quenches your thirst for a freshly made bread.
However, to avoid disappointments, get your instapot bread recipes from reliable sources and follow them well. Also, make sure that you are using the correct settings.
Finally, we hope that you’ve enjoyed this Bread and Buzz article. If you have any questions, please ask below in the comments.