Is it possible to bake a traditional cake using your bread machine?
You may have noticed the cake setting on your bread machine and just wondered if you could actually bake a cake in it. Some of you might have ignored it or been too afraid to try it. Can you bake a traditional cake with your bread machine? The answer is, “absolutely YES”. You can bake a cake in your bread machine, but it comes with a few tips and tricks.
If you have a pre-programmed setting that says cake, it is sometimes referred to as a batter bread setting. The batter bread setting only prepares the batter which you will later have to pour into a baking dish and slide into the oven. You can opt for this and then bake it in the oven, but mixing batter isn’t that difficult.
Whereas, the “cake setting” does that and as well as bakes the cake for you. We will be focusing on recipes that involve the ‘cake setting.’ Secondly, you have to see what flour you are using. Sometimes the recipes ask you to use cake flour or a cake mix or all-purpose flour.
Cake Baking Tips and Tricks
If you are trying to bake a chocolate chip cake for your daughter’s birthday and you don’t know when to incorporate those chocolate chips. With some bread machines, it is quite easy. High-end machines like Breville BBM800XL are equipped with a fruit and nut dispenser so you can add chocolate chips in the compartment.
Most bread machines do not come with a viewing window, so you shouldn’t just open the lid to check what your cake looks like. Patience is the key here because if you do that, it will mess up with the temperature of the machine and even a vibration at the wrong time can make your cake fall apart.
Once it beeps, you are supposed to shift the cake on a cooling rack and then serve it as it is or decorate it with icing, sprinkles, chocolate chips, fruits, or whatever you desire.
Don’t be too surprised if your cake is vertical because it is how it bakes in a bread machine. If you don’t like the way it looks, we would suggest slicing it up and creating layers. It will also allow you to add filling between each layer.
Cakes baked in an oven or bread machine tend to be tricky. It is a possibility that they aren’t cooked thoroughly, so it’s wise to carry the wooden skewer test. Insert a wooden skewer in the cake from the top and see if it comes out clean. If it doesn’t, then that means you need to pop it in for another 10-20 minutes. If you can’t find a wooden skewer, a dried piece of spaghetti works well too.
Now we have our basics covered; we can move onto the actual bit, which is learning how to bake different flavors of cake.
Cake recipe for bread machine
Red Velvet Cake Bread Machine Recipe
Red velvet looks fancy and dramatic. The red sponge is usually complemented with white icing to bring out the red. You will be using a red velvet cake mix. The frosting is often buttercream or cream cheese.
- One box of Red Velvet cake mix
- 1 cup of water/250 ml
- Three eggs lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup of vegetable oil/75 ml
- Take one cup of crushed strawberries and mix them with ½ a cup of sugar.
- Set it aside until the sugar dissolves and turns into a thick paste-like mixture. You will be using this between the cake layers.
- Take a measuring cup and add the right quantity of each ingredient in the baking pan in the same order of the recipe.
- Place the pan into the machine and choose Cake Cycle or batter Cycle: 1 pound and light crust.
- Once between the mixing, use a spatula to sweep off the batter from the sides of the baking pan and the kneading paddles.
- When it indicates that the cake has been baked, carry out the wooden skewer test. If it’s ready, let it cool and start decorating otherwise bake it for another 10-20 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:
- 1 cup of softened cream cheese (8 ounces/225 grams)
- 1 lb confectioners’ sugar, sifted (4 cups/455 grams)
- ½ a cup of unsalted butter, softened (1 stick/4 ounces/115 gram) or Mascarpone cheese at room temperature (65 to 67 degree Fahrenheit)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grab a medium bowl to beat the cream cheese in it and butter until smooth.
- Slowly pour in sugar while mixing until it has fluffy peaks.
- Add vanilla extract
- If you want to change the shape of the cake, cut it the way you want and add frosting. If you want to make it more delicious, then add the filling as well and top it off with another layer of frosting.
Pound Cake Recipe
A classic dessert that you can’t go wrong with. Best enjoyed over tea/coffee time.
- Three large eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup of milk
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Add all the ingredients in the same order as directed in the recipe into the baking pan.
- Choose the cake setting, 1 pound, light crust setting.
Cake Bread Recipe
This is a combination of both cake and bread ingredients. It works great for breakfast or tea time. You can serve it with jam, jellies, butter or even plain!
- 1 ¼ cup of water 110 degrees F/43 degree C
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 ½ cup of bread flour
- 1 cup of yellow cake mix
- 1 tsp rapid rise yeast
- Add the ingredients to a bowl in the same order as given in this recipe or by your manufacturer.
- This time select the white bread cycle instead of the cake cycle.
- 1.5 loaf and crust should be medium.
- You can ditch the wooden skewer for this recipe, but if you are still unsure, you can carry out the test.
- When it is baked thoroughly, set it aside on a cooling rack, slice it with a bread knife and serve with jam, jellies, butter or plain.
Chocolate Cake Recipe
Good old chocolate cake that everyone loves and enjoys!
- ½ a cup of water
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp of baking powder
- 1 cup of sugar
- 7 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup of chocolate chips
- Add ingredients as specified by your bread machine.
- If you have a fruit and nut dispenser or an audible beep that allows you to add chocolate chips in the middle, add those when your machine indicates otherwise, mix them with the other ingredients as well.
- We suggest you pick a light crust setting, so the cake isn’t too dry.
- You can serve it warm with fruits of your liking or even ice cream.